Friday, August 24, 2012

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

My coworker Kelly brought these in for a birthday party at our office and they had me at hello.  These cookies fall directly into my cookies wheelehouse.  Peanut Butter?  Check!  Chocoalte?  Check?  Oats?  Check!  Not-too-sweet?  Check, check check!  I took about 1/2 dozen of these to the house before I even came up for air.  I think all of my coworkers were distraught, but I was undetered.  Kelly was gracious enough to share the recipe with me and I made a bunch to take up for the Pittsburg Cookies Table at Jackie's Wedding.  Christine and I gobbled them up happily.  I used a smaller scoop, so I got 3 dozen cookies out of this recipe.  The cookies are addictive and it is fun to eat lots, so the moderate size was great.  They may not look like much, but they are the best cookies I think I've ever had.  Yum yum yum.  I am now in the final home stretch for my sister's wedding tomorrow and I am really getting excited.  I've got my dress, shoes, jewelry, cute date, and everything in order so now all there is left to do is get her to the church on time!  Wish me luck!
No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies (makes 2-3 dozen cookies, depending on size)
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 Tbs. vanilla
3 cups oatmeal
1.  In a heavy bottom pot, heat sugar, cocoa, butter and milk until they come to a boil (See boiling below).
2.  Allow the mixture to bubble away for exactly 1 minute.  This was stressed vigorously in the recipe, so I set my timer for 1 minute, just to be sure.
3.  Remove the mixture from the heat and add peanut butter and vanilla.  You are working with molton sugar, so be very careful.  This stuff can burn.
4.  Add the oats and put some elbow grease into mixing them in thoroughly.
5.  Wait about 5-10 minutes, until the mixture is cool enough to spoon out into cookies that will hold their shape.  Then using a scoop or two spoons, scoop them onto a lined baking sheet.
6. The cookies will be hardened in about 15 minutes, but you can leave them overnight to get the best texture.
One Year Ago: Monkey Bread with Cream Cheese Filling
Two Years Ago: Double Cheddar Cheeseburgers

No comments:

Post a Comment