Monday, August 13, 2012

Snickerdoodles

I went up to the fun and fabulous Jersey Shore this weekend for a little family getaway before my little sister's big day. If I was going to be able to spend a weekend basking in the orange glow of my native people and getting my GTL on, I didn't want to show up empty handed. I turned to one of my trusty, favorite cookies. Now, my best friend Lauren makes an even superior version. However, every time I try to wiggle the recipe out of her, she gets super cagey. Oh...yeah...sure. I'll send you the recipe... Then nothing comes. I don't blame her.  The cookies are THAT good.  With this in mind, I needed to seek out my own way in the world. This version is super soft and chewy with a great balance of sweetness and spice. I only about about 20 of these cookies, so it was cool. I will definitely be able to fit into my bridesmaids dress.  My brother-in-law to be ate about 30, though, so I didn't feel too bad.
Snickerdoodles (makes 3 dozen)
Ingredients:
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. cinnamon

1. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and continue to beat until light and airy.
2. Add flour, baking powder and soda, and salt and mix until just combined.
3.  Chill the dough and the baking sheets that you will use for 20 minutes.  This will make your cookies extra soft and chewy.
4.  Combine sugar and cinnamon to make the topping.
5.  I use a little scoop to scoop out balls of dough, roll one side in sugar, and set them on your ungreased, cold baking sheet.  They will spread out, so give them some room.
6.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
7.  Remove to a rack to cool and then store in an airtight container.  Preferably and opaque one if you want to horde them to yourself.  If people get a glimpse of these puppies, they will be gone before you can say "Snickerdoodle!"

One Year Ago: Cucumber-Thyme Hendricks Martini
Two Years Ago: Strawberry Fudge Ripple Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment