Monday, September 17, 2012

Heirloom Tomato Pizza

It is that time of year when heirloom tomatoes are still making an appearance at the farmers markets and I saw a big bunch that I needed to have.  This is the perfect way to use them (other than eating them plain, which I don't like).  This is a very easy and fool proof method for making really great pizza at home.  It starts by not making your own dough.  I know that this is really cheating, but I don't care.  It is WAY easier than making your own, tastes better, and I can't think of any better reasons to use it.  My general rule of  thumb about making things from scratch is that I like to make anything from scratch that I can do cheaper and better than buying it ready-made.  For pizza dough I can do neither of those things, so I give up.  I recently found out that Giant carries fresh pizza dough (regular and whole wheat) in the deli area by the mozzarella and peperoni (logical).  Done and done.  We were eating this for dinner and wanted a little more heft, so we cracked two eggs on top.  Added a great dimension, but could be omitted if you prefer.  This is the best pizza I've ever made and among the best I've ever eaten.  Simplicity at its best.  If you can get your hands on some heirloom (or even fresh garden) tomatoes...make this pronto.  You will not be sorry.
Heirloom Tomato Pizza
Ingredients:
1 ball whole wheat pizza dough
3 heirloom tomatoes
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs (optional)
fresh basil
salt and pepper
olive oil
1.  Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and put a non-stick pan in the oven while it preheats so the pan will get nice and hot.
2.  Roll out the dough so that it is a nice, thin crust.

3.  Dice the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
4.  When the oven is preheated, take out the hot pan and place the dough on it.  Sprinkle the dough with Parmesan cheese.
5.  With a slotted spoon, scoop the tomatoes onto the dough.  Leave all of the tomato juices in the bowl so that the pizza isn't soggy.
6.  If you want eggs on the pizza, crack them on top.  Then cook for 15 minutes in the hot oven.
7.  Top with fresh basil.
Slice up and enjoy!
Yum, yum, yum.

One Year AgoWhole Grilled Rockfish
Two Years Ago: Ginger Wine Poached Peaches

No comments:

Post a Comment