Friday, September 14, 2012

"Smothered" Pork Chops

Don't freak out that I called these "Smothered" when they do not involve gravy. You see, I don't really like gravy on my non-Thanksgiving day foods.  I know, I know.  I don't know what I'm missing.  Rather than gravy, I made a veggie mix and white wine sauce from the pan that I think is even better than smothered.  You crisp up the chop in a frying pan, add the veggies and white wine, then bake to finish the chops.  The vegetables are just fork tender so they maintain their freshness and a bit of bite to them.  The chops are super juicy and full of great, spicy flavor.  These were some behemoth chops.  At least 1 inch thick, so I had to cook them for 15 minutes in the over.  If yours are thinner, you can reduce that time to between 8-10 minutes.  We loves this meal and made short work of it.  The chops were so big that we had seconds the next day in the form of pork sandwiches.  Double yum. 
"Smothered" Pork Chops
Ingredients:
2 bone-in, thick-cut pork chops
cayenne powder
10 cherry tomatoes
1 green onion
1 small zucchini
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup white wine
salt and pepper

1.  Rinse and pat your pork chops dry with a paper towel.  Sprinkle on both sides with salt, pepper, and cayenne powder.
2.  Chop all of your vegetables.
3.  Heat 3 Tbs. olive oil in an oven-safe frying pan over high heat.  When hot, add the pork chops.  Sear on both sides for 4 minutes.
4.  Add the vegetables and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
5.  Add the white wine and move the pan to a preheated 375 degree oven.  Cook for 15 minutes and remove.  The chops will be tender and cooked through.
I served with a side of grits.  Yum!

One Year AgoCarrot and Ginger Soup
Two Years AgoGarlicy Kale

No comments:

Post a Comment