Thursday, October 11, 2012

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

It has been a busy couple of weeks here on Corcoran Street Kitchen. This past weekend was spent at home with the cutest boy baby in the world, my cousin Brooks. Not only is he super cute, he is super HEAVY! My arms feel like spaghetti noodles after a weekend of snuggling and baby carrying. I don't know how mommy Christy does it! Also, I've been treated to a lot of meals from family and friends these past few days. Christy made us a delicious dinner when Mark and I visited and I was obviously super excited to eat with my mom and dad at home. That brings us back to DC. I was so sleepy after such a big weekend, but I still wanted something special for dinner. This meal was quick, healthy, and really full of flavor. This is an easy meal to get on the table and you get to play with your food. I bet kids would love it too.  Mark went back for a plate of seconds that was bigger than his firsts!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients:
1 red pepper
4 green onions
3 garlic cloves
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 lb. ground chicken (or turkey)
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
1 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbs. Honey
1 Tbs. Sriracha
2 tsp. sesame seeds
1 head Romaine or Butter Lettuce

1.  Chop pepper, garlic, and green onions.
2.  Heat vegetable and sesame oil over high heat.  When oil is hot, add chicken and sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt.  Break up the chicken with your spoon so that it cooks in pieces.
3.  Add the chopped vegetables and cook with the chicken for 5 minutes.
4.  Add the soy, Worcestershire, honey, and Sriracha.  Stir to mix, lower heat to medium, and cook for another 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.  Remove the mixture from the heat and add the sesame seeds and mix to combine.
5.  Cut the Romaine lettuce in half lenghth-wise (so you have small wraps).  Wash the lettuce and dry.
6.  Top the lettuce wraps with chicken.
I also made a simple quick slaw of Napa Cabbage, cilantro, and green onions to top the slaw.  Toss lightly with sesame oil, soy, and rice vinegar.
7.  Top with slaw and enjoy.

Two Treats from Sweet Bobby:
One Year Ago: Sweet Bobby's Mulligatawny Soup
Two Years Ago: Sweet Bobby's Guacamole

2 comments:

  1. I blame the deliciousness first and the playing with the food factor second for the size of my helpings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - I'm definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete