Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mini-Beer Biscuits

Since I grew up in the Northeast, I really don't crave a biscuit with every meal. However, when the mood does strike, it strikes hard so I just go with it. I wanted a biscuit for dinner the other night and I didn't have any milk. I figured I'd just have to spend the night suffering in biscuit-less agony, when I remembered that, while I don't always have milk in the house...I DO always have beer. How about a beer biscuit? It is still flaky and tender, but with a hint of extra flavor from the beer. I used a wheat beer because, why not? I also make them "mini" because the only biscuit cutter that I have is the "letter O" from an alphabet cookie cutter set taht I have and it is smaller than a normal biscuit.  I like the mini biscuits because then I can have two!  This wouldn't be great with jam for breakfast, but I could still see it with bacon and eggs. It really stood out for dinner and I loved it.
Mini-Beer Biscuits (make 8 mini-biscuits)
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
1/2 stick cold butter
1/4 cup cold beer (drink the rest!!)
1 egg (for egg wash)
fresh cracked pepper

1. Add dry ingredients to your food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
2. Add the cold butter, cut into cubes.
3. Pulse a 5-6 times until the consistency is like wet sand.
Now it's time to add the beer. We went with Goose Island Wheat because we had it.
4. Slowly add the beer and continue to pulse 5-6 more times until the dough forms a ball and comes away from the sides a bit.
5. Turn out onto a floured board and roll out 1 inch thick. Cut into biscuits.
6. Set biscuits onto a lined baking sheet.
7. Beat egg slightly and brush beaten egg lightly onto biscuits. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper, if desired.
8. Bake in a hot, 425 degree oven for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm.

One Year Ago: Quick Lemon Thyme Chicken
Two Years Ago: Summer Vegetable and Goat Cheese Bake
Three Years Ago: Lemon Shrimp with Angel Hair Pasta

No comments:

Post a Comment