Thursday, September 23, 2010

Shrimp Cobb Salad

My dad has been a cooking machine for the past few years. I always remember him making a lasagna or two and manning the grill, but his cooking bug has blossomed almost as quickly as his golf bug did a few years back. The man is on fire. I know it must be something in our obsessive complexes (unfortunately both of my parents have it so I am just a complete freak). My dad bought Ina's entire cookbook collection and has been working his way through it, with stops in certain sections where he finds a dish that he loves and keeps coming back to it. Ina's Lobster Cobb Salad is one of his favorites. Since we are not Hampton's folks, Dad swaps out lobster for shrimp and then this is reasonable enough to even be a weeknight meal. Even with the shrimp, there is really something that feels special about this salad. My dad made it for me and Mark the last time we were home and (VERY begrudgingly) let me photograph his work. Forgive the bad photography because I was basically ducking elbows the whole time. It was worth it! Shrimp Cobb Salad
Ingredients:
1 bag of salad greens that you like
1 avocados
1 pounds shrimp
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
3 pieces bacon
1/3 cup crumbly blue cheese
Dressing:
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Juice of 2 lemons
5 Tbs. olive oil
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

1. Set the lettuce in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Make the dressing by whishking together all of the dressing ingredients. Set aside to dress salad later. My dad really knocked me out of the way when I was trying to take this photo. Sheesh!
3. Cook your shrimp any way that you like. You can roast them in a hot oven or poach them by bringing a small pot of water to a boil and throwing them in for 5 minutes with some lemon and olive oil. Either way, they will be fantastic.
4. Roast bacon in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes until crispy and crumble.
5. Slice avocado and tomatoes into chunks.
6. Add crumbled blue cheese, shrimp, bacon, avocado, and tomatoes to the bowl with lettuce.
7. Toss lightly with dressing and serve up.
Yum, yum, yum. Thanks, dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment