Thursday, May 31, 2012

Egg Salad Sandwich for One

Egg Salad is either one of those love-it or hate-it foods. For those of us in the love-it camp, there is also an element of craving it.  I don't want an egg salad sandwich every day or even every week, but once in a while, a very good egg salad sandwich is really sublime.  I often find those times to be when I am home alone with the afternoon stretching out before me.  I indulge in the process of making the sandwich exactly to my liking and then enjoying it on my own.  It is very easy to make in small or large quantities, but since I can't imagine that it keeps well, it is a great thing to make for one.  Cooking and eating just for yourself is one of those simple pleasures in life, so feel free to substitute anything you like: relish, whole grain mustard, chopped pickles.  Go nuts.  Not caring for any one's preferences but your own is not how most of us live our lives, but for just one afternoon, with this sandwich, we can!
Egg Salad Sandwich for One
Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 green onions
1 Tbs. mayo
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
celery seeds
salt and pepper
bread and arugula (for making the sandwich)

1.  My trick for hard boiled eggs (that I've taken from Nigella) is to put the eggs in a pot of cold water and bring the water to a boil over high heat.  Let boil for 1 minute and turn off the heat.  Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 5 minutes and remove.  Perfect every time.
2.  Finely chop the green onions and coarsely chop the eggs.
3.  In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, onions, a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.
4.  Add the mayo and mustard and fork together until well combined.
My favorite little addition in celery seed.  I don't know what about it completes MY perfect egg salad sandwich, but I highly recommend it.  It gives that hint of celery flavor along with some texture that I really love.
Sprinkle some celery seed in there and then you can put it in the fridge for a few minutes to chill while you toast your bread.
I like thick slices of toasted wheat bread and I slather a generous amount (read: all) of the egg salad on top.
A spicy green like arugula completes the perfect egg salad sandwich!

One Year Ago: Spicy Peach Sauce
Two Years AgoPickled Radishes

No comments:

Post a Comment