These little babies are seriously yum. We loved them with our Vegetable Fried Rice, but they would be great with plain white rice also. The ground chicken takes on all of the heat and flavor from the sweet and sour sauce. Since ground chicken is so naturally bland and low-fat, the sweet and sour sauce give it all the deliciousness that it is missing.
1/2 lb. chicken
1 clove garlic
red pepper flakes
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs. soy sauce
salt and pepper
1. In a bowl, mix together chicken, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, egg, breadcrumbs, and 1 tsp. salt and a sprinkle of black pepper. Mix together with your hands until well combined.
2. Roll the meat mixture into small meatballs.
3. Heat about 2 Tbs. vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat and brown the meatballs on all sides.
4. In a bowl, whisk together ketchup, vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce.
5. After the meatballs are browned, remove them from the pan and discard excess oil. Add the ketchup mixture and bring to a simmer.
6. Add back the meatballs to the simmering sauce and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
7. Serve the meatballs up with plain white rice or on little rolls.
One Year Ago: Fondue in Brugges