Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Three Bean Salad

I know that the idea of a three bean salad is not very exciting to most people.  But then again, I am not most people.  I love beans. Not only are the so very good for my heart, but they are very satisfying and I think they are delicious.  This salad in particular, with the tangy, sweet dressing is the exact thing that I want for a fall picnic or BBQ.  The red onions become sweet and forget all of their harshness in the dressing and the beans soak it in as well.  It is a nice, hearty side dish that most people will gobble up.  It can be eaten cold or at room temperature, making it great for bringing to a potluck meal.  I exchange the usual canned green beans for canned garbanzo beans because I like garbanzos so much better.  I ate this for 5 straight days after the original party where I served it.  Yum!
Three Bean Salad
Ingredients:
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can cannelloni beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 small red onions
3 stalks celery
sprig of rosemary (about 1/2 tsp diced)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

1.  Rinse and drain the beans.
2.  Dice the celery into small pieces and dice the onion as finely as you can.
3.  Coarsly chop the parsley and then chop the rosemary as finely as you can.
4.  Whisk the dressing together in a small bowl by combining oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar.
5.  Combine together beans, chopped parsley, rosemary, onion, and celery in a large bowl.
5.  Toss together with the dressing and refridgerate until you are ready to serve.
Enjoy!
One Year Ago: Baked Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Two Years Ago: Curried Eggplant

No comments:

Post a Comment