Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Crispy Prosciutto Bites with Pumpkin and Pear

My sister had us over for a very festive and cozy Thanksgiving.  She made these little appetizers treats that she agreed to pass along with all of us.

We had over a tough crowd for thanksgiving, all with very discerning palettes so I couldn't just put out some carrot and celery sticks and be able to wow this group. I found this recipe from my girl Martha and adapted to make it thanksgiving appropriate. It has everything I like in a recipe, easy to make, less than 5 ingredients and the ability to make it ahead of time. When I started thinking about it, the possibilities are endless with what you could fill these cups with! I will definitely be making them again in the future.
Crispy Prosciutto Bites with Pumpkin and Pear (adapted from Martha)
Ingredients
1/2 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
1 ripe Bartlett pear, finely diced
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
4 Tbs. canned pumpkin

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  Cut prosciutto into two-inch squares.
3.  Place one square in each cup of a mini cupcake tin. Fold pieces to cover any tears or holes, and leave a small flap over the top of the rim of the cup (*this is important - they will shrink when baked, and without the rim a few of mine shriveled making it hard to fill them. Lesson learned!)
4. Bake until fat turns golden, about 12-15 minutes. Using a fork, immediately transfer to a paper towel to drain; cool completely.
5.  In a small bowl, combine pear and juice and then add the pumpkin. Spoon mixture in each cup just before serving.

Obviously these treats are better enjoyed in the company of a pumpkin that is dressed up as a turkey!  Thanks to Mark's mom for my new favorite Thanksgiving decoration of all time.

One Year Ago: Smoked Salmon Fritata
Two Years Ago: Potato Latkes for Hanukkah

2 comments:

  1. Well you just made my life easier, this is the Christmas Eve appetizer I am going to make to pair with Prosecco! My family decided to switch things up a bit this year; each couple was assigned two types of wine and has to come up with an appetizer to pair with each for a total of 8 wine/food pairings...should be fun! ~Wage

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what I drank while eating these and it was a match made in heaven! See...my sister is good for something after all :)

    ReplyDelete