Monday, July 22, 2013

Yellow Tomato Salsa

This is a very simple, refreshing and delicious salsa that I made using fresh yellow tomatoes from my garden.  You may not know this, but eating a raw tomato of any kind is a big step for me.  I like to think of myself as an adventurous eater, but the only food I don't like is raw tomatoes.  Something about the texture and raw flavor just doesn't do it for me.  Then I discovered the much more mild and subtle yellow tomato and I've become hooked.  I am using them as fast as I can grown them and I've never been happier.  My backyard gets lots of southern exposure, so that means tons of bright DC sunlight.  The tomato plants are soaking it up and growing like weeds.  I can't use them fast enough, so I'm inundating my poor neighbors with bags of produce.  Since this salsa is so easy to make, with with only a few ingredients, it is perfect to throw together as an appetizer or as a topping for weeknight tacos.  You can certainly use red tomatoes, if you have them, but if you can get ahold of yellow tomatoes for a reasonable price, give this a try with the yellows.  It will be worth it!
Yellow Tomato Salsa
Ingredients:
2 large yellow tomatoes
1 small red onion (or 1/2 medium onion)
2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
1 lime
salt & pepper
 1.  Finely dice the red onion and cilantro.  Chop the yellow tomatoes into bite-sized pieces for salsa.  I like mine to be relatively hearty sized pieces, but you can chop them to your preference.
 2.  Mix together the onions, cilantro and tomatoes.  Squeeze over the juice of 1/2 lime.  
 3.  Toss together with a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. 
Enjoy on tortilla chips or to top your tacos!

One Year Ago: Peach Mule
Two Years Ago: Black and Tan Brownies
Three Years Ago: Peanut Butter Cookies (for Martha)

No comments:

Post a Comment